Patriot Scholar Program
The Military Friends Foundation Patriot Scholar program is for:
1) Massachusetts residents who are high-school seniors and college students with a parent/step-parent/guardian who has been activated overseas (other then for training) in the Massachusetts National Guard or Reserve components since September 11, 2001.
2) Massachusetts family members of Fallen Service Members who have lost their lives in relation to their military service since September 11, 2001. The family member will be currently attending (or accepted in) a trade school, undergraduate or graduate program to apply for the grant.
The Military Friends Foundation seeks to award a $1000 scholarship in each of the Commonwealth’s nine Congressional Districts. These scholarships will be awarded based on merit as determined by the Military Friends Foundation’s Board of Directors and with consultation from the scholarship Committee.
Eligible students must have a financial need and provide proof of a FAFSA application when applying.
*Graduating high school senior or college student who is enrolled in college/trade school
*Have a parent, step-parent, or custodial guardian who is a Massachusetts resident, is/was a member of the National Guard or Reserve, and is/was activated overseas under Title 10 since September 11, 2001 for a force protection mission. (This does not include active duty for training.) The service member should be in good standing or honorably discharged OR a family member of a service member who has lost their life in relation to their military service since September 11, 2001.
*Proof of application for FAFSA (Free application for student financial aid) or other financial aid assistance
Patriot Scholar recipients will be selected by the Military Friends Foundation. Only those selected will be notified and award recipient’s names and photos will appear on www.militaryfriends.org. A public presentation of the scholarships will be made and all scholarship recipients are expected to attend this ceremony. Please submit a completed application to Military Friends Foundation, 14 Beacon Street, Suite 607A, Boston, MA 02108. There is no grade point minimum to apply.
1. Family members proof of military service (DD-214, LES, DD-1300)
2. Letter of Recommendation/Referral
3. Typed list of extra-curricular activities (e.g. student government, athletics, the arts), community involvement and other awards/recognition (optional)
Once selected all students may be asked to provide proof of a FAFSA application.
Patriot Scholar recipients will be selected by the Military Friends Foundation. Only the winners will be notified via phone and award recipient’s names and photos will appear on www.militaryfriends.org. A public presentation of the scholarships will be made and all scholarship recipients are expected to attend this ceremony. The Board of Directors may self identify applicants on an as needed basis.